Monday, December 21, 2009

Lovin' Franken



If you are from Minnesota; I simply envy you unabashedly.

If you don’t watch the video, here is a synopsis.

Lieberman: Pontificating.
Franken: Your 10 minutes is up.
Lieberman: Can I have unanimous consent for extra time?
Franken: No.

McCann: [huffily] In all my years on the Senate floor, I have NEVER seen such outrage.
Franken: Duly noted. Now move on.


Here is why I love it. First of all, there is a reason for a 10-minute rule. It would be one thing if Lieberman was making some necessary points, and was in the middle of a well-framed argument. But no, he is merely blathering with no proposed solutions. This is the reason for the 10 minute rule! The idea is, “Take your best shot. Make good, strong points. Lose the rhetoric and sophistry. Be prepared.”

Even more importantly, I loved the response to McCann. Notice what McCann does NOT say. He does not list a rule Franken is violating. He does not even indicate what important statements Lieberman was not allowed to say. All he says is, “this is the way we always do it.”

For a “maverick,” you would think he (of all people) would understand, “This is the way we always do it” is not the best justification.

Occasionally, I am faced with similar situations in my practice. I come across attorneys who say, “In all my ___ years of practice I have NEVER seen anyone do that.” To which I love to reply, “Great! Today you get to learn something new! Today you get to do something you have never done before! Isn’t it fun to learn?”

5 comments:

  1. I like Al Franken. He's scary smart, and at least liberal.

    I believe, however, that the Senator from Arizona spells his last name "McCain".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Maddow showed a clip tonight in which McCain had objected to a Democratic Senator getting an extra thirty seconds in 2002 to finish some remarks in opposition to going to war in Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid question - I am trying to track down 'the Thinker' at unsolvedmysteries.com. You wouldn't happen to be that person would you? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Great! Today you get to learn something new! Today you get to do something you have never done before! Isn’t it fun to learn?”

    Lorena says
    Love it! I need to learn how to say something like that with a straight face. Something like, "You learn something everyday, don't you?"

    ReplyDelete